Let’s be real, nutrition is one of the more difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members undergo, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and fads are always emerging.
Diets don’t work. Why? Because most diets focus on cutting back on something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also impractical. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the right way to perform properly. Limiting vital nutrients is bad for your physical and mental health. In addition, research shows that only 1% of people who diet alone actually drop their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important piece of our program. Since beginning our 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same approach when it comes to nutrition—keeping it simple! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food choices.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” added to our food have substantially changed over the years. We show our members how to make healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to be successful.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program different?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important element of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to splurge every once in a while, it’s become the norm in our society causing obesity to become an epidemic. Our members are trained that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that way. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep a tally of calories! We don’t concentrate on calories because a lot of foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a greater fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more important than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific approach to figure out your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you know how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, allowing your body to stay in “burn mode” instead of “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to eat good fat as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get elsewhere.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is eaten, our bodies go into “store mode” turning extra sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members eat smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to replenish the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program realistic. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are allowed to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they can have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you go at your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, so drinking the right amount of water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps relieve muscle stiffness. Our members strive to drink at least 10 glasses of water every day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help make you feel full faster, allowing you to keep portions in control.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, certain meals that keep track of points, tracking calories or removing every delicious food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the expense of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and boost your confidence and energy.
Find a location to get more information about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in as little as 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread each day with the Farrell's program too!